I’m a writer and editor.
In my work life, I help companies tell their stories (through text, audio, and video) in order to increase brand awareness and influence. An experienced journalist, I bring my love of storytelling and rapid, accurate, surprising, and delightful content production skills to every project I do. The teams I’ve led have won awards and have helped put tech brands and publications on the map.
Contact info: My coordinates are in the icons at the top of this page, including my email address and phone number.
I’ve been blogging since the last millennium (my first post, on Blogger, was in November 1999), mostly about tech and media but sometimes about swimming or running or the Bay Area or life with kids. I try to write and draw every day, and if you’re into that sort of thing, most of my poetry and artsy stuff is on my Tumblr, What Is Found There.
A Few Publication Highlights
- A delicious mid-life mocktail, Popula, March 2019
- How to Fake an Email From Almost Anyone in Under 5 Minutes, Hacker Noon, October 2017
- Talk loudly and carry a big schtick, Medium, March 2017
- 6 Financial Facts Solo Entrepreneurs Need to Know, NewCo Shift, October 2016
- How to Use Diversity to Increase Business Performance, LinkedIn, November 2015
- This French tech school has no teachers, no books, no tuition — and it could change everything, VentureBeat, June 2014
- How to Make a Clock Run for 10,000 Years, Wired, June 2011
- DIY Freaks Flock to ‘Hacker Spaces’ Worldwide, Wired, March 2009
- NBC Bay Area, “Press Here,” March 2015
- Fox Business, segment on CES and upcoming gadgets, January 2015
- PRHacker, “Secrets of my Inbox,” August 2014
- Fox Business with Maria Bartiromo, about the Amazon Fire phone, June 2014
- KRON-4, on our hopes for an Apple watch, September 2013
- ABC Bay Area, about Yahoo’s new logo, August 2013
- Revision3, on Steve Ballmer and Microsoft, July 2013
- KQED Forum, with Michael Krasny, on Facebook’s IPO, February 2012
- … more media
Dylan Tweney is Highwire PR’s editor in chief, and is focused on and is focused on generating world-class content and communications strategies for Highwire clients. He’s a writer, editor, and journalist with 20+ years of experience working in national media outlets and technology companies, producing award-winning content and driving coverage, awareness, and ROI.
Dylan was previously VP of Communications and Research for email security startup Valimail, founder of content strategy agency Tweney Media, editor-in-chief of of tech news site VentureBeat (2011-2015), and senior editor at Wired (2007-2011). He’s been writing, editing, and publishing professionally for over two decades.
He’s also the founder of tinywords, a daily journal of haiku and micropoetry.
When he’s not working, he’s probably out swimming in the nearest body of water.
Recent rough drafts
- Fifth Sun
- The tree with the lights in it
- Zen, death, love, and an exorcism.
- I have heard the toadfish singing.
- Walking through a shitstorm.
- Either way, you get your pet back.
- Grief and gratitude.
- Ryan D. Tweney, 1943-2020
- November chill.
- The Institute, by Stephen King
- A Zen family vacation
- A delicious mid-life mocktail